Wednesday, August 09, 2006

GAA fever

While we were in Dublin, Orla and I went to a Gaelic football match, which was put on by the Gaelic Athletic Association and played in Croke Park. In the first match, Kerry played Armagh, and in the second, Cork played Donegal. The security guard was kind enough to give us his program, so we could read up on the teams.


At the beginning of each match, both teams paraded around the stadium with a marching band. Here’s the Cork team heading off to play, while someone waves a Cork flag in the foreground:


Here’s a shot of the scoreboard. You can see what a surprising match it was: 22 and a half minutes into the match, the score was Cork, 1-0 (3), and Donegal, 1-3 (6). I mean... whoa!


Cork pulled ahead in the second half and won.

Here are two guys we met later at the hotel. They’re wearing their Armagh jerseys:


After talking about where they were from for a while, they recited to us the entire plot of Top Gun.

This is an aside, but while I was scanning the program cover, I also scanned the stamp in my passport from this trip. Most of the E.U. stamps are small, nearly identical stamps with just a letter in one corner indicating the country. Check out the full-page pair of stamps you get in Ireland. It was very clear (although perhaps not in this picture)—I could stay there only 30 days, and I had no recourse to public funds:

3 Comments:

At Wed Aug 09, 05:44:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I'm officially obsessed but think there need to also be a link to the Cork team roster, so people can see the THREE O'Connors (at least one of whom is very cute and good).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_GAA

Also to the Hurler of the year article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_O%27Connor

And of course, the People's Republic of Wanker.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/

 
At Thu Aug 10, 11:13:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help it...I see 'Hurler of the Year,' and I'm just not thinking about Gaelic football.

Apologies for creating that image...

 
At Fri Aug 11, 05:06:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know all about that passport stamp - I get it all the time even though I am a citizen. So I have been both an illegal immigrant and a citizen at the same time. To add insult to injury, I was also receiving public funds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home