Monday, July 31, 2006

Portsmouth

This weekend, while my high school friend Martin was still in England, I took a quick trip down to Portsmouth. Portsmouth is a maritime town, and there are pleasure boats, ferries, and naval ships everywhere. Among them is the HMS Victory, which is the oldest commissioned warship in the world, and where Lord Admiral Nelson died during the Battle of Trafalgar.


Old warships have lots of cannons:

(Incidentally, 480 men slept in this room at night in hammocks hung from the rafters, and 560 could eat meals here. The ship could have a crew of 850. During the Battle of Trafalgar, there was a crew of 821).

Later that evening, Martin made a new friend:

2 Comments:

At Mon Jul 31, 11:06:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a couple of days behind in my comments, so I'll summarize: (a) I don't know how you intended to take Castelnaud without your sheep and (b) owls rule.

 
At Wed Aug 02, 03:09:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you know each one of the 821 was roaring drunk the entire time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home