Monday, April 10, 2006

Another weekend jaunt

This weekend I was off for a short trip—again to a fine European city:


There I met up with my friend and frequent blog commentator, Joy. Here she is with her fiancé, Bill:


We spent most of Saturday at Versailles, a palace built by Louis XIV and located a short train ride outside of Paris. Construction on the palace began in 1644 and took almost 50 years to complete:


Inside is the famous Hall of Mirrors, currently being renovated, but fine to see nonetheless, and especially handy if you have a sudden burst of insecurity about your hairstyle:


The grounds outside are enormous and laden with various statues, formal gardens, and the like (including an entire fake hamlet built for Marie Antoinette). Visitors can walk through the gardens and admire the statues and, if their visit is timed well enough, they can enjoy Les Grandes Eaux Musicales.

Our visit was well-timed:


Les Grandes Eaux Musicales is a show that’s executed entirely by turning on the fountains and piping classical music into the grounds, but the title doesn’t lie: it is big, and it involves water and music.

5 Comments:

At Mon Apr 10, 10:45:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That statue appears to have need of the Hall of Mirrors for her bad-face day.

 
At Mon Apr 10, 11:43:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos of Versailles bring back really odd memories of my very first trip to Paris at age 11. I remember the Hall of Mirrors as being very reflective, which I was not yet able to see the post-modern implications of. I don't remember the Great Big Water Music, although I now think this would be a great name for a folk rock festival.

Joy and Bill look very pleased to be in France.

 
At Mon Apr 10, 12:20:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no longer eleven and I still don't see the post-modern implications.

 
At Tue Apr 11, 05:40:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't be pleased to spend a weekend hearing about our correspondent's Life Of Never-Ending Misery? It would even cheer up that statue: "I may be stuck in a pond getting spritzed and listening to Great Big Water Music, but hey, it could be worse."

 
At Fri Apr 14, 08:05:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We WERE in fact, so pleased to be in France.

Off topic--has anyone yet commented on how great the option is to "choose an identity" as offered when you post? It brings up all sorts of possibilities, yet I always seem to choose the same one--myself. Lack of imagination?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home