Saturday, December 02, 2006

Up and running!

Time Warner hooked up my internet service today—woooo! So here’s a post on Saturday and (I know my father was waiting for this one) another post about the zoo:

The national zoo has something called the O Line. The O Line is, as they put it, the transit system by which the orang utans (I’m deferring to them on spelling) can travel from tower to tower to get from the Great Ape House to the Think Tank. They travel right over the zoo’s visitors, like this:


And this:


A question that occurred to Dad and me was how the zoo kept the orang utans from hopping down and joining the crowd. This had evidently occurred to others. The zoo had a reassuring response:

3 Comments:

At Sun Dec 03, 12:13:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually remember learning that orang utan was the correct spelling from physical anthropology in college, but I never liked it.

 
At Sun Dec 03, 07:13:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I liked the other utans, like the utan clan. I even got my utan name: "Matt Utan."

 
At Tue Dec 12, 06:46:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember(from quite a while back) the first time these lovely fellows made the initial trip unplnaned by the zoo kepers from their enclosure to the clock tower. That freaked everyone out and was major news! Guess they decided to make this climbing skill a regular feature at that zoo. How funny. I am not sure I am too confident in the response to the escape question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home